Today many people are settling for “it’s good enough.” They are bored, uninspired and simply counting the hours each day until they leave work. They lament they can’t find other work due to their age, current paycheck, and/or lack of opportunities. Unfortunately, they also tend to blame the boss, job, clients and company for their lack of motivation. They fail to realize their own job dissatisfaction will not be transformed simply due to external work changes. Sparking your motivation is an inside job! Your boss or mentor can’t do it for you. However, with the right conversations, he or she can open the doors and opportunities, if you’re ready. Five steps to prepare for these all important conversations (hint — be sure to write down your responses):
- We rarely take time to assess what’s working and what’s not working. We use the all-in-one philosophy that if one thing is broken, none of it is working. An objective assessment of what worked for us and what didn’t can clarify what’s next. Get your copy of the eGuide: “5 Simple Steps to Improve Your Results (and Enjoy Being a Leader Again)” http://ow.ly/EhekG
- Read the book, “It’s Time to Brag! Career Edition” and complete the five easy exercises. This will awaken a natural confidence and have you acknowledge and appreciate what you’ve accomplished. Share these brag statements with your boss, mentor and others – they are not aware of all you’ve accomplished. http://Time2Brag.com
- Each day write down three things you value about yourself. They should be different each day. If you have a hard time with this, don’t give up on recognizing your value.
- Hire a coach to fine-tune your purpose and what you really want. Put together a simple and smart game plan. http://SeibCo.com/contact
- You’re ready for great conversations with your boss or mentor. Remember, it’s a two-way communication process. Be open to other ideas from him or her.
Now, take action – waiting doesn’t make a difference. Jeannette Seibly has been an international business and executive coach for over 20 years. She has guided the creation of three millionaires. Are you the next one? http://SeibCo.com/contact ©Jeannette L. Seibly, 2014