Winning isn’t everything, but a winning attitude is required to achieve amazing results. The bonus? It also feels great when you win.
But many people today have conflicted feelings and attitudes about winning. They find it more comfortable to conform to peer pressure and not rock the boat, which can get in the way of winning for them and their teams. While it keeps them from overshadowing others, there is a huge personal and professional cost (e.g., overlooked for promotions, not selected for key opportunities, low self-esteem, confidence, etc.).
Why is having a winning attitude vital for you?
- It builds your confidence and mindful awareness.
- It increases your ability to take the initiative, be coachable, and be resourceful.
- It creates healthy self-esteem while improving your results.
- It makes you promotable while having more fun and making more money.
- It provides you the courage to ask for help, hire a coach, and influence others.
Remember, especially when you want to throw in the towel and say, “I give up,” it’s not about whether you win or lose. It’s about your attitude towards winning. It’s about enjoying the process of gaining new knowledge, skills, and awareness that comes from a winning attitude. And these experiences are priceless.
4 Tips for You to Create a Healthy Winning Attitude
- Take Initiative. Too often, people dream the dream but fail to honor the commitments required. Instead, they blame people and situations to excuse their unwillingness to make a plan and follow it. To achieve any goal, focus on what’s important to you, get in the game, and go for it! That’s what taking the initiative looks like when you’re in action.
- Do the Work Instead of Creating Excuses. We all love our excuses. But they get in the way of winning! When the process isn’t working, don’t let it deter you from achieving the goal! Don’t change the goal; instead, change the process. Remember, the process rarely looks like you think it should! It requires stretching your comfort zone into a new one or leaving behind the old one.
- When Obstacles Occur, and They Will, Become Resourceful! Everyone hits a wall. Sometimes it’s a massive one. But giving up isn’t an option. Instead, be flexible, resourceful, and resilient. Adopt the winning mantra, “I can do this, and I do it.” Now, take it day by day, step by step, and moment by moment as you move forward. Yes, there will continue to be bumps in the road. But they don’t need to stop you.
- Celebrate the Wins with Gratitude, not Ego. When you win, it’s important to celebrate and acknowledge your accomplishments! Add the achievements to your resume and bio. Bragging in a humble manner works! Don’t forget to say, “Thank you!” to those that helped you along the way! (You didn’t achieve it without them!)
©Jeannette Seibly 2021-2022 All Rights Reserved
Jeannette Seibly is The Leadership Results Coach. She has guided the creation of three millionaires and countless 6-figure income professionals. As an award-winning international executive and family business management consultant, keynote speaker, and author for over 29 years, she guides others to make a positive difference. Feel stuck in a political work situation? Want clear advice on how to get out of it? Contact Jeannette for a confidential conversation.
A Note from Jeannette about having a winning attitude and achieving amazing results: We often rely on our excuses for not achieving fantastic results. The truth is, we need to adopt a winning attitude and stop accepting mediocrity. It’s not hard, and there are no shortcuts. The reward is that it feels great when you achieve amazing results! You just need to do the work! What do you want to accomplish in Q2? Let’s do it! Let’s Chat!
Have you hired a team that doesn’t have a winning attitude? Oops! But it could have been avoided by improving your interviewing skills. So grab your FREE copy of the best 16 Must-Read Tips for Productive Hiring Interviews.